Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The learning continues..

To be honest I feel that I will need many goals, to ensure that I complete this course and gain several high marks along with it. My goals will be: To be more organised with time plans and finalising work, not spending too much time on one task, to achieve at least one merit or higher grade, and to improve my independent skills.

To achieve my first goal I really need to work on my time planning capabilities. I feel that I don't seem to keep to my plans, and I also feel that they are sometimes not sufficiently detailed enough. I have already started working on a structure for my time planning, and I can adapt or change this how I want. I will be creating an in-depth master plan, with an even more in-depth weekly plan for each of the coming weeks. I am not sure if I am conflicting with the goal "taking too much time on one task" now though. Hopefully, by having a more structured time plan, I will be able to keep a track of all the tasks that need completing, and not skipping a task by mistake. I also feel I can make changes to dates and times more flexibly.

I will also start using checklists, as I feel that I will be able to keep up to date with what I need to do and what I have completed. By using this checklist I am able to see if I have completed everything that needs to be done to pass the assignment. I will include all the minor tasks in this list, like creating the CD label, or making sure all the folders are correctly spelt. I feel that I leave these tasks too late then end up forgetting about them.

My second goal I feel is probably the one I will struggle to overcome. I usually tend to spend too much time on tasks that I enjoy more. E.G: site designs and actually making the website look better, or maybe just fear of not having enough information. I feel that I get too involved in these tasks that I leave myself with little time to complete the others. I also find that I spend too much time doing research and taking notes, rather than getting the notes I need then moving on. I always feel like there's something I've missed and so I carry on searching.

To solve this problem I will have to start spreading my time more evenly along tasks. I should also try to limit myself on the amount of research I do. I must find what I need in summary and then move on. I should also work on the actual completion of the website, before making it look good to the viewer by inserting bells and whistles. The task should come first, not how the site looks.

Achieving a merit or higher grade seems like a daunting task to me as I rarely get a pass first time. I feel that by completing the other goals this could be achieved quite easily. I do feel that most of my work is at a good standard, just minor changes that I need to focus on more. Achieving a pass first time would motivate me and make me feel good about my work, but achieving a merit would give me something to be proud of, as I do feel ashamed of some of the progress that I seem to lack.

Independent skills, I mean, I believe contain the above. Maybe not the skills themselves, but how I structure my independent study time. I feel that the above changes would also improve this. I guess I do ask for help from John, but I do feel that once I can get things sorted I will be able to manage on my own, or just about. I do feel I should go over my sketchbooks, although the temptation to change things on my old work could get involved.

The next bit is hard. What would I like to be doing in a few years time...
Due to my experience at college, I can say that I know what my strong points are. These include design work and development work. I feel that I can draw and create some brilliant designs, and create them digitally as well. Some sort of job that includes these would be a print design studio. My website skills I do feel lack structure, although I make them friendly and inviting with my use of Photoshop images, though I cannot see myself as a full time web designer. I don't think I have the skills to take it seriously.

Flash is another interest of mine, and the whole point of me joining this course was to do some Flash and 3D work, although it came as a surprise when there was no 3D work involved. The Flash course has been moved around so I have yet to start this assignment. I hope to achieve a brilliant grade and to create some amazing Flash work. If this goes well then I would definitely feel that it would be the job for me. Animation has always been a dream of mine, as it enables me to do the thing I enjoy doing the most, Drawing. But Flash lets me actually create my drawings digitally, and then give them the ability to move.

One other thing that I enjoyed thoroughly, and like to show off sometimes, was the photo restoration task. I doubt that there will be another chance at college to do another one of these, but I would like to take it farther if all else fails.

Overall I do feel that I have chosen the wrong course but I intend to complete it anyway. I have benefited from it, and I will still get some experience with Flash. I guess even though I aren't doing too well up to now, I feel I try too hard. I feel that is why I haven't quit, and I don't intent to either!

No comments: