Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Half term over already?

This first half term back to college has been somewhat different this time around. Less support and involvement from Steve and John has been noticeable, although no one seems to be suffering from this.

John's support lessons are also different, in the way that they are no more individual meetings. Personally, I feel that a mix of individual lessons and group lessons is better rather than one or the other. I have enjoyed looking through some of Julian's work and found that his research was quite impressive. I found it hard to structure my research into a working order but Julian's was ideally structured.

Another major change was the team assignment. Actually working for a client that actually likes our work is impressive. I feel that our team is working a lot better now. I did moan at the start when we swapped roles but I am enjoying my role now. I have learned several new skills as well as practicing my CSS!

Validating our team website was a disaster! There were certain errors that just wouldn't disappear and the code seemed fine. It took nearly all day to sort this problem out. In the end I had to create a new template and add each page again. Next time I should definitely validate every time I upload the site. This will ensure that I can sort out problems before they make things worse. I do enjoy validating my website, even though it's quite stressful. It lets me see where I have gone wrong. I have always enjoyed doing puzzles and problem solving, validating websites is just like a digital version. I admit I did need some help to get through this stage, as I really couldn't solve it and I had wasted a very long part of the day trying to get around it. Did anyone else have trouble validating?

I don't know if this is allowed but I haven't seen any work from the other 2 teams. I was wondering if you could post a link to your designs?

I have prepared and managed my time well for John's assignment and I am (quite) confident that I will pass. I think that this is because I have been sticking to the plans that I make and also created a checklist that I could tick off finished work. Most of this I had learn't from John himself. I wasn't stuck inside from 9 o'clock on Wednesday either. I printed my work off and handed it in. This is very unusual for me. My management of time has made sure I was ready.

I am quite pleased with my final product for this assignment. I seemed to create this site quite easily compared to my attempt for the team project. The only major error I had difficulty overcoming was the fact that I had created the page in "Transitional" and not "Strict". This is something I always seem to do. Maybe I am too eager to start without thinking about these things? I will definitely have to make sure I start in the right type of document next time. Taking care and more time to prepare for the building part will help me overcome this problem.

Shuffle
2's Company

Don't know about anyone else but I feel this has been my best performance yet. I hope it keeps up for the rest of the year!

5 comments:

Mirhad Kalabic said...

Hello Marc

I know what you mean about working for a client that actually likes what your creating... Were in the same situation i think, our clients lack of knowledge seems to be working in favour for us, i think they will be happy with what ever we make for them as long as its better than what they currently have.

on the other hand bare in mind it won't always be like this and a lot of times clients will turn arround and say they hate it, so we've all got to be prepared for such things.

Marc Pugh said...

Yeah our client seems to like everything we produce. Our next client seems to know a little more about the internet than the hairdresser. Maybe they will prove a little more difficult?

I am quite glad that we have had no problems to be honest though, seen as we are getting graded on this. I would hate for things to mess up towards the end as it would affect our grades. Although it would most probably be the client being awkward.

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I've had a look at the 2's company site I like what you have done. There are a couple of things you may have overlooked -

On the form/contact us page the text is in Times where as the rest of the site you have used Arial.

Also you could put more descriptive alt tags in for the images you have used.

Forgive me if you haven't finished yet!

Marc Pugh said...

We didn't start with alt tags to be honest but the validation seemed to need these. I do think they need altering, as they were only inserted to keep the validation happy.

As for the form it's still in progress. Hopefully should be completed within the next week.

Overall though I am happy with our teams progress and the final product. Do you have the link to yours if I may take a look?

Craig Burgess said...

Regarding seeing our work Marc, we've not created our website yet. This week and next week are our big build weeks if you will, so we'll show you on one of our blogs closer to the time.

Nice looking work. If the client's happy, then you should be. Though I do second what Scott said; descriptive alt tags are a must.

Consider using Titles too. They're not a requirement but it allows you to see a tooltip when you hover over a link or image.