Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Evaluate!

I feel that this semester has been quite a packed one. The amount of work we have had t get through has been immense, for both assignments. They have both also been very rewarding in the amount of experience and skills learned.

A major downside was that I have to re take my presentation. I guess that this was due to feeling uncomfortable rushing to find solutions quickly and using my Grandma's laptop over the reading week. This was because my PC broke at home, which created a lot of stress for me. I look back and can see that I had limited myself by using her laptop as I had to spend valuable time downloading and installing the software that I needed. It is also slow and cannot handle many programs running at once. She also lives quite a distance from me as well.

Next time (which I hope will never happen again) my computer breaks I shouldn't panic as much as I did. I should think about who has the most ideal computer and get in touch with them first. I know it is relying on other people, which I dislike to do, but it is an option out of a very tight situation.

The team assignment has gone well and I am now glad that I was chosen as the developer, because the CSS websites and working to a specific brief was fun and experience was valuable. We have had a few hard points where areas of the site were not validating, or having to learn some basic php script. I feel that the php area was hard work. Next time I would look into how it works and get the basic principle instead of digging straight in and hardly knowing what I was doing.

I am glad that both the clients are happy but I am displeased with the amount of effort the Crazy Firehouse staff put into our evaluation. They clearly weren't interested in our experience. We had to nag constantly for them to complete it.

I feel that experience with a more knowledgeable client would have been more beneficial but I guess we were lucky not to have a client that would mess us around. The project has ran pretty smooth and nothing major has crept up and got the better of us.

I have enjoyed working with Rich and Ben. I feel that they make an excellent team even if I disagree about some of the actions that took place within our project. I would certainly change some things but I feel that everyone would make changes if they were to take the task again.

The artistic assignment I have had mixed feelings about. It has been the most fun, and yet hardest assignments we have faced. Now that the 3 week art work and the 2 week production is almost over I am beginning to feel the amount of work that still needs completing for this assignment. We still have to digitalise our final piece including 45 degree angles of the piece. We then have to create a webpage to advertise our product. An evaluation is also requires, obviously. I still have some work to do on my presentation as well!

I feel that my final product isn't the best it could have been, although I do like it. The cards also look quite professional and suite the piece well. I have also began to think about the website to advertise this product on. I was thinking a 3 page site with just the image changing on the different pages. I will need to investigate into some more design ideas first but I reckon my first website idea will be the best.

If we were to take this task again then I would have definitely changed it around and have 2 week creative artwork and 3 week developing. One thing I have learned is that I need to get things right first time so they don't get in the way later.

The lessons with John have taken a rather unexpected turn. We are now going through job applications and interview techniques, which I never thought would have happened. They have certainly cleared some uncertainty I had towards job interviews. The techniques he has learned me are valuable.

One thing John did mention which I would have thought was pointless was applying for jobs that require you to have a degree or higher grade than the one we are currently achieving. He states that even if you don't have a better grade, as long as you have the rest of the requited skills then they will consider you. I certainly see his view on things now.

He mensioned that we should go through the SWOT analysis again to find out your strengths and weaknesses. Telling the truth on the CV is also essential. Don't say your a bubbly, driven, CSS guru if your not, because it will clearly be shown in your interview.

Another thing he suggested which I didn't think would be allowed was to take templates of web designs etc. just in case you are faced with a publication to show how good you are. The work you are given can be placed into your template quickly so you will have more time fixing bugs and making the *task* accessible and professional. It shows that you have taken the initiative and prepared for something like this to happen.

6 comments:

Mirhad Kalabic said...

Must agree with you mate on the experience front. I genuinely feel that the group assignment has taught me the most about the industry and how it functions. Some of the experiences, especially the built it in a day what we did were priceless and I don't think we do anything like this on other assignments.

Not that it effects us anymore but more group assignments for future students would be very beneficial I think.

Webomatic said...

Hi Marc

I dont have a clue how hard it is being in the second year as i am in the first and that is hard enough.

I'm glad to see that your clients are pleased. If you need practise with your presentation, book in some time doing it infront of us first years, hopfully this will help you.

Thanks, Martyn

Marc Pugh said...

Yeah my last presentation confrontation to te first years was aweful! I'd love to show you that wasn't the real me.

Working for the clients can be hard work especially when they don't have a clue about web design. The main problem with our main clients was the choice of images they wanted putting onto the home page! Horrible!

As for the second year I seem to be finding it a lot easier. The first year wasn't a very good one for me and I can see that by looknig at the progress I'v made. I am already starting to aim towards higher grades and hopefully I can achieve a few merits+ before I leave next year.

Some of my recent work I feel is pretty good, perhaps presentations on our work would be good?

Ben Waller said...

I think having two completely different clients was beneficial because it reflects what the industry is really like.

You cant expect to always have perfect clients so experiencing how different cients can be at such an early stage will stand us in good stead for the future.

Richard said...

I agree with your comments on the team project. The Crazy Firehouse client looking back could have been a typical client from what people have come in and told us, specifically the Design Mechanics presentation.

I think John’s advice is correct and I’m glad you have posted it on your blog I certainly will be looking for and hints and tips in order to find the right job in the future.

Marc Pugh said...

Well the Skillset document is a good place to start. There are plenty of job title's their, although I am sure theres more out their.

My lessons with John have come to an end now though... got to be independent for a change! His advise really was useful, especially these last comming weeks. Have you thought about what role you would like to do in the future? Not another project manager role I bet! It's a difficult role but you coped pretty well