Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ready, Aim......

The goals for my portfolio I feel are definitely better than my previous goals for assignments. They are more measurable, and require me to practice skills that I am not familiar with. This will make the project more challenging for me, but I will also learn a lot more by going through it.

  • To create a working website(s) that validates with XHTML 1.0 Strict and CSS version 2.1.

I feel is an important goal to any web designer. Validating your work keeps it future proof, and professional. It also makes the website accessible. It will also let you know if your site is cross browser compatible. I have also heard it helps with search engine optimisation, although this is not certain.

I chose this goal as it is industry standard and seems to be what potential clients look for. I also feel that it is good practice for getting code right the first time. It will also let you learn which browsers allow what features.

I will complete this goal by regularly validating my work and keeping my code neat and well noted. Validating work early can solve any problems early before they become a huge problem. This is something I have learned through experience.

  • To implement some sort of Flash into the website, whether it's an image created in Flash, or some ActionScript.

I feel that by having some sort of Flash on my page will make it more dynamic, or look more inviting.

I chose this as a personal preference, as I wanted to do at least one thing in Flash on the course. It will be a challenge if I am having to learn ActionScript, as I have hardly touched upon the subject. I will also need to revisit on basic Flash animation skills, as it has been a while since I last used it.

  • To learn a new technique that I have not used before. This could include JavaScript, ActionScript, or sliding doors, etc.

This I feel will also make the site more dynamic and more inviting to the viewers, although I need to ensure I don't go over the top with Bells and Whistles.

I always try to implement something new into my work, whether its something as simple as adding rollover images or creating border effects. Despite the amount of new technologies we will be learning anyway I felt that something fun or different should be included. This goal is for that particular technology.

  • To make sure that the final website is web standard priority 1 complience.

I feel that this should be completed by every web page created. Like validation, it helps with future proofing and accessibility issues. It will also make the creation of the portfolio more of a challenge as their are more guidelines that I must stick to.

To ensure that this goal is completed I should regularly view the web standards and check whether my code is correct. Doing this more regularly will ensure that no major errors are unseen until its too late.

The portfolio website will be set in 2 parts. The professional part for potential clients will only include my best work, and will have to be created carefully and professionally to ensure that the viewers stay on my page.

The second part will be accessible to those who have permission rights. This can be done in several ways. I could create a separate website for each of the parts, or could password restrict links and work.

7 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

If I was you, I'd merge goal 2 and 3 into one. They are very similar, but if you keep them as they are you stand to potentially require yourself to learn two separate technologies at the same time.

That would be difficult, by anyone's standards.

Craig Allington said...

Which aspects of priority 1 are you hoping to meet Marc? Are you planning to meet them all (conformance level 'A') or just certain parts?

Marc Pugh said...

The idea with goals 2 and 3 was to just create some sort of image in Flash. I already have some ideas in mind and something drawn in Flash is sothing that I can do. I chose it as I wanted to do atleast one Flash item throughout the entire course.

The other goal I was thinking about something more visual like JavaScript, or some sort of animation or php skill I have not yet used. It could even be something like sliding doors, which I was hoping to try on my last assignment but never did.

The second may be just a Flash skill I already know whereas the third goal is something completely new. Does that make it any easier?

About the goals I was thinking Conformance level A, although I have never really thought about these priorities before now. I always thought validation was enough, and I know how to validate quite easily now so the next step up is these priorities right? If I just chose the ones that I wanted then I could easily get round them but by giving myself a set goal of conformance level A then I know I will need to push myself, which I think I really need.

Maybe it's a step too much? Does anyone else have experience on these priorities? Are they easy enough to achieve?

Chris Towell said...

Creating some sort of image in Flash seems a bit pointless as you can just use Photoshop for this, unless you are going to animate said image.

Craig A - Have you specified which aspects you are going to meet? because isn't A level 1?

Craig Allington said...

Should that be directed to my journal Chris? But I have said I wish to gain level A found at the w3c site yes.

Craig Burgess said...

I'd have a long hard look at the guidelines before saying conformance A Marc. Only you know how far along your skills are. I would say however that it isn't necessarily easy to meet, and you need to have a rough guide of these guidelines in your head before you start your design.

As for saying using one other technique you haven't used before - does it matter really? I always come up with the ideas and designs first then design how I'm going to make it. Not think what technologies I'd like to use then base my design around that.

Marc Pugh said...

I'm not sure to be honest Craig. I'm trying to change my style a bit because most of my designs seem pretty similar, with nothing special about them really. I've said this a million times to myself I spend too much time thinking about what colours, layout etc to use that I end up having to rush the final.

I am going to try this method out first. I will still have plenty of time to think about and giving myself targets for technical stuff makes the design more challenging, which will obviously lead to different results to what I would originaly create.

I think my sites all have a similar style, and one that I like. But if you know me then you'd know I don't like sticking to one style. I'll keep it for a short while, get used to it, then change it again.

@ Chris - It depends on what image I create. Flash is much better for drawing in, where I find Photoshop more of a manipulation program. It will all depend on what my final idea is anyway. If I end up choosing a design that doesn't contain a Flash image then I will have to think of something that does contain Flash. Maybe navigation, drop down menu's, etc.

As for the priority guidelines, I didn't realise how many their was. I just saw a paragraph or 2 with (Priority 1)(Priority 2) in and read them thinking that was the full list. I will have to look at them again I admit. Is their a page with the priority 1 standards all listed? I seem to find bits here and their and not a complete list.