Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Delivery Requirements

CSS 2.1
I will be creating the website using style sheets as opposed to tables and cells. I feel that CSS gives a much better presentation and professional quality to the site. It is also what we have been practicing for the past few months. CSS 2.1 is also the most supported version, meaning that my site will work on most of the latest browsers without any errors.

I will be using Notepad or Dreamweaver 8 to create my spreadsheet. The CSS code will validate to 2.1, and will be noted.

I believe that validation of CSS is a must as it ensures that my site is future proof, accessible and shows my skill as a designer.

XHTML 1.0 Strict
The website will be created in XHTML 1.0 Strict to show that I work to industry standard professions. The site will also validate at 1.0 Strict to keep the work future proof and accessible. Validation also shows my skills to be able to problem solve and shows that I take care when building new sites.

This will be created in either Dreamweaver 8 or Notepad.

PHP 4.1.2
PHP I will be using to create a feedback form or a contacts page so viewers (hopefully local employers) can give feedback on my work or send me an email message. The PHP could also be used to create a guests list, although whether I will have one on the site is still unknown. This version is the one that my hosting account lets me use.

I will be using Dreamweaver 8 again to create this particular technology.

ActionScript 3.0
Flash has always been something that I would like to learn. I think that getting to know some basic Actionscript for animation or visual cues would be ideal for creating a visually professional website. Showing that I can use PHP, Actionscript and CSS would be a great asset, and will be what most employers would be looking for.

I will use Macromedia Flash 8 Professional to learn Actionscript and animation on.

FTP
The FTP will be needed to upload work onto the server for viewers to access through the World Wide Web. I will be using Dreamweaver’s FTP function, as it is the one I am most familiar with.

5 comments:

Chris Towell said...

I think you may have missed one technology out, you have said that you are going to use Actionscripting but Flash is not a technology you have put down on your list.

I would put Flash in a separate section as they do fit together but I would personally think that they are two different technologies. Any person reading this without knowledge of such will think "Actionscript, whats that? Hang on why is he talking about Flash?"

I too would like to put flash into this portfolio but I think in all honest I would just be trying to Crow bar it in somewhere.

If you're going to use a 'Guest List' you may also want to add MySQL to the list because you are definitely going to need to store their data somewhere. Is it really necessary for the site though, I'm sorry but I can't see what use a guest section would bring to a portfolio site.

Other than that a good set of Technologies and usage.

Chris Towell said...

If you are using Flash there is another technology that you will need to research in order to make it Validate. Its separate code but it is classed as another technology which should be declared in here.

Marc Pugh said...

I was going to put Flash but wouldn't that mean I'd have to put Dreamweaver and the other programs down as well? I didn't put Flash down as I didn't know we needed to put the programs as well as the technologies.

As for MySQL I am still unsure whether or not I will be using it. I should have put it down I admit but I thought I would be making things over complicated if I am going to use ActionScript, CSS, XHTML PHP and MySQL all in the same site.

Although this would show that I had knowledge of them.

As for Flash validation, I had no idea it had to be validated seperate. Can you use the usual w3 site for this too?

Chris Towell said...

It's a separate piece of code and a file to make Flash validate.

As for Flash I was talking about the Flash Player plugin. The user will need to download a new one to view it or you will need to aim for an olde version ie 6 or 7. As these are earlier vesion they do not support ActionScript 3. I don't see what you will need AS 3 for anyway.

Julian Dyer said...

I agree with Chris, it may put people off looking at the website if they have to download a plugin for the page. I'd have though using AS3.0 would be a bit unrealistic if it is just a small part of your website (like a header image).

You should aim to make a website which uses either 6 or 7, as these are the most popular plugins used by website visitors.