Friday, August 06, 2010

Post catch up

Well it's been almost two week since my last entry. Quite a different two week actually, as work place is alot more quieter now with the kids being on their school holidays... 5 week of bliss. Although the work we have been doing has been quite repetitive, yet it is a job that should be useful once it's completed.

We have basically been moving over to SpiceWorks network management system and away from SharePoint. I have yet to come to terms with the new software, but it is alot more powerful, plus custom made plugins (or Widgets) can be added. We have spent the majority of the week going around the work placement and creating an item log (Assett) for every piece of equipment that we deal with. There are well over 800 items, and they all have to be typed up and kept up to date. Fun...

Apart from work I have been working on my programming, and am slowly beginning to understand methods around problems I face. I also learned - thanks to Dean :) - about variables within functions, classes, or global, and how they affect one and another. From learning this I could see errors appearing before I actually wrote the code.

We have been thinking about a way to randomly place objects that correspond to certain parameters within a chart. We have thought of several solutions, but Dean is convinced he has found the right method for us to work upon. I believe his judgement, but think I will struggle to keep up when it comes to actually writing the code.

Weekend has arrived once again so I must crack on with my programming. Going to work on getting my code shortened, and also commented well, as well as add or repair some more features to extend my knowledge.

On an off topic note: Bought Starcraft 2 and love it!

No comments: