Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Sculpture your mind

Personally, I feel that the trip to the Yorkshire Sculpting museum would be suitable for the first years. They will soon (If not, already) have to start thinking about the aspects of art versus design. I feel that this trip would create a good border between what defines art or design.

We soon arrived at the sculpture park. The path that lead into the museum was actually integrated with peoples names. I didn't notice this until the way home though, after taking a closer look. I guess I was quite eager to get out of the cold weather. Perhaps I should have taken more care at what I look at, or look more closely next time.

The work inside the halls was quite surprising to me. I expected to see masses and masses of weird sculptures, yet what I found was a room with a wall made from twigs taped together, or a giant room created from logs of wood. The room made from logs of wood was really inspiring. What inspired the person to create a room from logs?

The *Skyspace* building was enjoyable, although the view of dark clouds wasn't ideal at the time. The Skyspace was actually a square room with a large hole in the roof. The effect it gave you was that it was like looking at a photo frame, but the image in the centre was constantly moving. It will give a different atmosphere depending on what weather is like. I just wish we could have had a better view.

The *Basket* was an interesting building also. The building itself was created from like a steel mesh, as though looking through a stack of baskets. The landscape was visible between the steel structure which also created a weird effect on the view.


The extremely long walk to the museum on the opposite side of the river was really strange. I didn't expect to see what I did. Pictures on the wall created from mud, manure and animal blood. Although these images were nothing more than just creating a mess from several unusual mediums, it really got me thinking.

With the artistic assignment now upon us I feel that Steve lead us to this sculpture park to try and open our minds. The one thing that I did learn, as well as inspiration, is that art can created from any medium possible. Even animal manure! Don't just stick with what you've got. Find and experiment with loads of different mediums. The whole idea was to get us thinking about what we are going to create our artwork with and not just plain black and white pictures in pencil.

3 comments:

Chris Towell said...

The names on the floor are the names of people who have donated to the YSP I think Steve said.

As for the Skyspace room I assume this is the building with the hole in the roof? I liked that as well but would not like to be stood in there if it rained.

People get inspiration from everywhere and anywhere. As for the room with logs I think it could loosely be based on an olden day hut (I mean hundreds of years old).

The twigs were nailed together but I thought it must have been so hard and time consuming to actually create it. I wouldn't have known where to start with that.

As for your weakeness to the cold buy thicker clothes! It wasn't that cold at all.

Craig Allington said...

The Basket was also one of my most enjoyed sculptures. After I visited again yesterday I discovered that the people who made it also made the plastic crate sculpture over at Castleford.

I'm hoping that I can go visit the plastic crate sculpture to compare the differences between the two as the actual idea of them both is similar.

Mirhad Kalabic said...

I'll tell you what, i didn't expect to walk that much, when we came back to college i was so tired and recieveing the news of my referal just made my day. Although i did have a great night sleep it has to be said.

The walk itself, although long was rather enjoyable, with many fascanating things to see on the way, but i think once we got there i was rather dissapointed, there was only a few things to see, and a few rather disturbing things at that.

Loved the Lama's though, their cool.